Sunday, August 10, 2008

Losing two greats

It's been a sad weekend for the entertainment world.

First, we get word of the passing of Bernie Mac. I wasn't a fan of Bernie Mac, not because I didn't like him, but because I just didn't watch his gigs. Everything I did see him in, though, I was always impressed. His brief role in Transformers was particularly good.

Now we heard Isaac Hayes is dead at 65. Now, Hayes I knew a little more of. I was probably the only white guy in my high school who had seen "Shaft" numerous times. I pegged him early as the true talent behind "South Park." I'd always get a big laugh from my impersonation of him, "Hello, children! Aww, let me sing you a song about it ..."

It was several years ago late one Saturday night on PBS my wife and I were in bed watching a documentary on blaxplotion movies. Of course, Hayes was featured. I remember watching Hayes on stage, singing "Theme from Shaft." Hayes was wearing no shirt, baggy white pants with orange suspenders shades, and banging a tamborine. Anyone else would look like a fool. Hayes ruled.

They'll be missed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home